Planning an Oktoberfest Party.

It's that time of year again.. Pablo's birthday, and this year is special (to me, because) he's turning 28 on the 28th! 

This is the first year we have a big enough house to host a party, so I told him to invite all his friends and coworkers. I was going to surprise him by telling everyone it would be an Oktoberfest themed party and come dressed up and everything but I gave in and told him too, it's too good to not include him. 

The 192nd Oktoberfest started in Munich on September 19th. People from all over the world are meeting in Bavaria for two weeks from dawn till dusk. We're a little sad that we haven't been able to go, but our Oktoberfest party will be making up for it (for now).


What you need to host an authentic Oktoberfest party

I have compiled the most important information for me and I figured I would share what i'm planing with you in case you'd like to throw one too! An Oktoberfest themed Party is very easy to implement wherever you are! 

These are things I think should be included in order to make the party more "festive," and most of these are also a check list for me to make sure I don't forget anything.

Tasty Bavarian specialties:

Weißwurst
Genuine Munich white sausages, no matter how you prepare them, they are always a treat!

Süßer Senf
Only in combination with sweet mustard is the white sausage a genuine Bavarian meal

Leberkäse
The name "Leberkäse" literally translates to "liver-cheese" since the older recipe included liver and because it has a cheese-like texture. I will be pan-frying it and serving either in sandwiches or by itself to be eaten with:

Kartoffelsalat
The German version of a potato salad is similar to one you would make in the U.S.

Brez'n
For a snack on the go or to accompany the sausages, a soft pretzel is the ideal snack.

Obazda
The tasty cream cheese Brie mix accompanies the pretzels perfectly..

Frische Klöße
Make some fresh chicken-or red cabbage dumplings (all you need is dumpling dough).

Sauerkraut
Chopped cabbage is practically the national German dish and should not be missed at a hearty Oktoberfest meal.

Weißbier
Give yourself a break from the hustle and bustle with a palatable Oktoberfest white beer.

Bayern Decorations

Oktoberfest Party plates.
Themed napkins.
Decorate the room with the colors of the Bavarian flag (blue and white diamonds)
Folk music (get it via playlists from Pandora or spotify)
If possible, request everyone wear Dirndl and Lederhosen.

If you can't seem to find Obazda where you are, you can make some.. here's a recipe I adapted from Rewe.de, I haven't tried this yet, but everyone says it's delicious. I'll let you know once I know!

2 ½ packs camembert cheese (125 g)
1 package cream cheese (125 g)
75 g sour cream
1 onion
chives
Paprika powder
salt and pepper
Cumin Powder

Cut the Camembert cheese into small pieces and crush until a mixture is obtained.
Add cream cheese and sour cream and mix everything.
Next cut the chives and onion into small pieces and add to the mixture.
If the mass is too dry add a little milk.
Add salt, pepper, paprika and cumin powder to taste. 

Have you ever thrown/attended an Oktoberfest themed party?
Any recommendations?


This month's sponsor:
Shop at Diana's E-Store

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get to know me.

Young Living

15 maneras de preparar atun.